Youthworks was formed in early 1998, following the amalgamation of two Anglican entities: the Anglican Education Commission, which under Rev Canon Alan Langdon oversaw the provision of religious education in NSW schools; and the Anglican Youth Department, with its wonderful heritage of camping ministries, under the influential Rev Graham Delbridge and Rev Neville Bathgate in the 1940s and 50s.

You can read more about our history by clicking a decade below:

1942 – 1952 "Laying the Foundations"

Australia had been at war for 3 years when, in 1942, Archbishop Howard Mowll turned his attention to the youth of Sydney. 

1956 – 1970 "Beginning of Camping Ministry"

Following Graham Delbridge’s resignation in 1952, and the Rev Arthur Dean’s 4-year tenure as Director, Archbishop Mowll appointed the Rev Neville Bathgate as Director of the Youth Department in 1956.   

1976 – 1990 "Expansion of Programs"

The 1970’s and 80’s saw a significant growth in the number and nature of the programs offered by the Youth Department. 

1980 – 1990 "The Push for SRE"

The Rev Canon Alan Langdon, appointed Director of the Church of England Board of Education in 1950, had been tasked by the Diocese with reinvigorating Special Religious Education (SRE) in NSW public schools. 

1994 – 1998 "A New Era"

By the mid-90s there was a growing conviction that the future lay in amalgamating the Anglican Youth Department and the Anglican Education Commission (AEC), combining their resources for more effective ministry to young people across the Diocese. 

2000 – Now  "Oriented for Life"

The story of Youthworks is one of God bringing gifted people with different ministry strengths together into one organisation, with a shared vision and heart to see young people transformed by the gospel of Jesus Christ.