SRE: Getting ready for Christmas and 2013!
Written by Kerrie Newmarch
October is birthday month in our family. It starts with my nephew at the beginning, more family and close family friends throughout the month and finishes with my sons (yes…twins) who turn 23!
So as you can imagine, this means presents, eating … and lots of cake! This happens every year, and yet every year I feel as if it sneaks up and takes me by surprise. I wonder if you have times in your life that are the same?
With SRE and Children’s Ministry, one of these times might be Term 4. All of a sudden we need to be thinking ahead to 2013.
Some questions you might be facing right now could be:
- What teachers will continue to be available next year?
- How will I recruit new teachers if I need them?
- What is happening with end of year assemblies?
And the list goes on.
Lauren, one of the SRE Co-ordinators in my region, has helpfully identified some of the tasks she hopes to achieve in the next months. I have listed some of these for you to consider during Term 4 so that you may finish the year well and hopefully begin 2013 with less apprehension.
Term 4 Tasks
- Provide training opportunities for potential new leaders (accreditation training, safe ministry training, helping out in a class with an experienced teacher).
- Advertise, then book leaders into the SRE Conference (Jan 31 Rooty Hill / Feb 2 St Ives / Feb 5 Dapto / Feb 9 City) Book here: http://www.youthworks.net/events/smc-2013.
- Find out how to be part of your school's Kindergarten Orientation Day. Liaise with schools to do a presentation at Kindy Orientation Day and provide parent info brochures (eg. Why SRE?), and display curriculum.
- Organise Christmas SRE assemblies at schools. Ensure all teachers are invited to the assemblies and know the dates / times.
- Collate class numbers and order stock in the following cycle to the one that is currently being used.
- Order next year’s material. Order via form sent out from CEP or at www.cepstore.com.au.
- If part of a Ministers' Fraternal, forward invoice to Ministers' Fraternal Treasurer.
End of year activities
- Provide resource ideas for teachers to be handing out to their class at Christmas.
- Write cards of thanks and encouragement to teachers.
- Organise a 'thank you' morning tea for SRE teachers.
- Organise a 'thank you' morning tea for the school staff.
Once again, these are just a few small tips. Would love to hear any other points you feel would be worth sharing with others.
I hope this list is helpful as you enter into the last term of the school year. We knew it was coming … and now it is here!